This is a space dedicated to academics, artists, and advocacy that inspire me to excel at what I do. As my work revolves around African American English, Verbal Arts Tradition, and Performance & Culture, each area speaks to these interests. Check back often for new additions. I hope they inspire you!
Influential researchers and their work
- John and Russell Rickford’s Spoken Soul: The Story of Black English.
- Tony Webster’s Intimate Grammar’s: An Ethnography of Navajo Poetry
- Majorie Harness Goodwin’s He-Said-She-Said: Talk as Social Organization Among Black Children
- Geneva Smitherman’s Talkin and Testifyin: The Language of Black America
- Elaine Richardson’s Phd to Phd: How Education Saved My Life
- Jonathan Gayles’s The E Word
*Verbal arts and performance: artists and their project
Social justice movements and activist scholarship
*These influences drive my research interests — both serving as the basis for my fieldwork research projects. See my research blog for more details.